Living with the Earth, Fourth Edition : Concepts in Environmental Health Science
Author(s): Gary S. Moore, Kathleen A. Bell
Shelving Guide; Environmental Science
This is a groundbreaking and innovative book now in its fourth edition. The first edition won the CHOICE award for outstanding Academic Book while editions two and three became bestsellers on their own right. This fourth edition is packed with new updates on current world events associated with environmental issues and related health concerns. The author maintains traditional concepts and merges them with new and controversial issues. The book has been revised to include up-to-date topics with and a revised Web site with updated links.
- Coverage of emergency preparedness for environmental health practitioners
- Discussion of population dynamics especially with regard to overpopulation and underpopulation around the world and their respective influences on social, economic, and environmental concerns.
- The mechanisms of environmental disease, emphasizing genetic disease and its role in developmental disorders and cancer.
- Human behaviors and pollution are presented along with respect to their roles in cancer risk.
- The ever increasing issues surrounding emerging and re-emerging diseases around the earth and the introduction of an increasing number of emerging diseases.
- The growing problems of asthma and other health effects associated with air pollution.
- An exploration of the mechanisms of toxicity with special reference to the immune system and endocrine disruption.
- The ongoing issues of the creation and disposal of hazardous waste along with the controversies surrounding disposal are presented. The issues and benefits of recycling are explored.
- The use of HACCP in assuring food quality, food safety issues, and the Food Quality Protection Act are discussed.
- Numerous technical illustrations, charts, graphs, and photographs are included
What on the Web?
- Test bank and study questions giving a complete review of the concepts covered.
- Search tools for online journals and databases covering useful, up-to-date information in health and environmental topics
- Subject specific links by chapter as well as Federal, state, and organization sites with relevant information
- Downloadable PowerPoint files for each Chapter providing the instructor with ready-made presentation materials that can be modified as needed.
- Downloadable and printable test questions and answers for each chapter available to instructors